Firstly, Happy New Year! Let's all generate some positive thoughts and energy moving into 2021. Hopefully we can solve some of our woes generated last year and make it a better year this year.
But yes, the COVID19 saga continues into 2021. This is frustrating for everyone.
And thankfully, the basics for taking care of your health - physically, mentally, and emotionally - hasn't changed. Are you taking care and taking action on behalf of your health? Let's review!
Dr. Sarah's top 5 tips for a healthy immune system!
#1: Decrease your fear levels. Research shows that the more you live in fear the lower your immunity. If you do a quick search online you’ll get hundreds of articles on the correlation between fear and lowered immune function, some specifically related to the current pandemic.
How do you decrease fear?
- Refocus your attention. - on positive things in your life like the beautiful day, the fact that you have your health, your family, your pets.
- Consider a media fast. - disconnecting for a day, several days, a week, or if that’s too difficult try a half a day. Media outlets are television, news, radio, social media, and the internet. You might be surprised how much better you feel.
- Practice gratitude. - make this a daily practice. Before bed write down five things that you are grateful for on this day.
- Pay attention to what you’re letting into your mind and heart. - the body thrives with peace, calm, and positivity. You have the power to create this with a little extra attention and intention!
#2: Feed your body healthy whole foods. The nutrition we put into our body helps it run - when you put in high quality nutrients, the better your body functions, the stronger your immune system is and the better you feel.
- Eat the rainbow. - make sure you’re getting a large variety of veggies and some fruits - it's a great way to get antioxidants
- Eat whole grains. - these provide fiber and good nutrients.
- Eat healthy fats. - like avocados, coconut oil, raw organic nuts, and olive oil. They decrease inflammation and are essential for the body.
- Eat clean healthy proteins. - to give your body the essential building blocks for proper function.
#3: Move your body and rest your body. Getting exercise regularly may have been challenging for some of us during the pandemic; however, It is still incredibly important that you are moving your body in some way, and then getting the rest your body needs to repair.
- Walks, stretching, jumping jacks, etc.
- Just move!
- Try exercising for 1 minute during every hour in the day - this is a very effective health technique with documented health benefits.
- Get 7-8.5 hours of sleep every night.
#4: Connect with friends and loved ones. This is essential! And I know it may be challenging, but social isolation is detrimental to your well-being including your immune system.
- Reach out to your friends and family. - make the effort!
- Create or find a group of friends to connect with - find your "pod."
- If you don’t have a pet, consider getting one - they love you unconditionally!
- Get outside and connect with nature. - nature has so many living beings and it's very healing!
- Be of service. - for an elderly neighbor, a friend that needs help, or an organization.
#5: Make sure you’re getting your basic immune nutrients. This is a review from my email back in March 2020. Research continues to show that Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Zinc are indeed helpful. I’ve also added Vitamin A because it boosts T-cells, which help to fight infections!
- Vitamin C - 1g 3x daily
- Vitamin D - 2000 to 5000 IU daily
- Zinc - 15 to 30mg daily
- Vitamin A - 5,000 to 10,000 IU daily
Incorporate these basic immunity tips into your daily life to support your immune system, create a healthy and calm mental emotional environment, and feel good that you're taking your health into your own hands!
To purchase supplements from my clinic... please visit My Medicinary site where you can find all of my favorites.
For more extensive support during these times... I am here for you. I offer both telemedicine video and in-person appointments to best support you. Naturopathic medicine works!